The central government on Thursday released guidelines for social media, OTT platforms and digital news. The government said that there is freedom to raise criticism and questions, but there should also be a forum to deal with the complaints of crores of users of social media. Law Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad said that if any wrong content is put on social media, it will have to be removed within 24 hours.
He said that it is very important to know who posted the wrong tweet or content for the first time. Information and Broadcasting Minister Prakash Javadekar said about OTT and digital news portals that they should have a system to control themselves. Just as there is a censor board for movies, the same arrangement should be for OTT. The content shown on it should be of age.
Ravi Shankar Prasad becomes a platform to promote violence , “We had a complaint that social media has become a platform to promote criminal, terrorists and perpetrators of violence. WhatsApp users in India are 50 crore. Facebook. Has 41 crore users, Instagram users are 21 crore and Twitter has 15 crore users. There have been complaints of misuse of these social media and fake news. This was a matter of concern. So our government has prepared guidelines for such platforms. Decided to
These rules were made for social media
- Social media companies will have to appoint an officer for the complaints of the users and also mention its name.
- This officer will have to resolve the complaint within 15 days. If there is a complaint in cases of nudity, then the content will have to be removed within 24 hours.
- These companies have to submit a report every month on how many complaints came and what action has been taken against them. The complaint will have to be addressed within 24 hours and resolved within 15 days.
- Who has put any rumor or wrong content for the first time will have to find out.
- If someone posts wrong content from outside India, then you have to tell who has uploaded such a tweet or content for the first time.
- If you want to remove the content of a social media user, then he has to tell you the reason for it.
Give OTT and news websites a chance to create self-regulation twice
Union Minister Prakash Javadekar said, “Like the digital media news portal, crores of people have come to the OTT platform. Those who come from the press have to follow the code of the Press Council, but there is no binding for digital media. Codes follow under the Cable Network Act, but there is no such rule for OTT platforms. The government has thought that there should be a single judicial system for all media platforms. Some rules have to be followed and a system has to be followed. “
For this, 50 questions on OTT were asked in both houses. After that we convened meetings of all people associated with OTT in Delhi, Mumbai and Chennai. We told them about self regulation, but it did not happen. In the second meeting, we talked about making arrangements within 100 days, yet it did not happen. After that we thought of creating an institutional system for all media. Media freedom is the soul of democracy. But, every freedom should be filled with responsibility.
Rules for OTT Platform
- Program code will come for such platforms.
- Any program will be shown in terms of age. Meaning if there is an adult scene in the program then it should not be shown to the children.
- OTT companies will have to categorize 13+, 16+ and A categories.