There World Badminton Federation (BWF) has canceled 4 tournaments including Taipei and Korea Open due to Corona. On the other hand, the Federation has said that there will be no event till the situation improves. The Taipei Open was to be held from 1 to 6 September, while the Korea Open was to be from 8 to 13 September. 136 days have passed since the International Badminton Tournament took place.

Apart from these two tournaments, China and Japan Open have also been canceled. Both these tournaments were to be held in mid-September.

BWF Secretary General Thomas Lund said that we are disappointed with the decision to cancel the tournament. But the health of players, spectators and all member members is most important. Keeping this in mind, it was decided to cancel the tournament.

Will strictly follow WHO guidelines: BWF

The BWF General Secretary said that we will strictly follow the guidelines of the World Health Organization. In future also, the WHO, the guide line provided by the local health authorities and restrictions on international air travel will be taken into consideration before taking any decision regarding the badminton tournament.

BWF freezes world rankings and junior rankings
The BWF had previously frozen the Tokyo World Rankings and the World Junior Rankings until the next order after postponing the Tokyo Olympics for a year. The BWF was told that when it starts the international calendar, the players’ seeding will be decided on the basis of March 17. The last international tournament on this day was the All England Championship.

BWF also canceled Hyderabad Open

The BWF had already canceled several tournaments including the Hyderabad Open in India. The Hyderabad Open tournament was to be played from 11 to 16 August. Apart from this, India Junior International Grand Prix 2020 to be held in Pune from 4 to 9 August was also canceled.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here