Mahendra Singh Dhoni could not open the account in the opening match. He returned unbeaten after winning the match.
- Out of 4 opening matches between the two teams, 2 Mumbai Indians and 2 CSK won
Chennai Super Kings (CSK) defeated Mumbai Indians by 5 wickets in the opening match of the 13th season of IPL. After losing the toss in the match played in Abu Dhabi, Mumbai had scored 162 runs after losing 9 wickets in 20 overs. In response, CSK scored 166 runs losing 5 wickets in 19.2 overs to win the match. Chennai defeated defending champions Mumbai for the second time in the opening match of the IPL.
CSK, led by Mahendra Singh Dhoni, came off to chase a 163-run target and had a very poor start. The team had lost two wickets in the initial 2 overs. The innings was handled by Ambati Rayudu (71) and Faf du Plessis (58) and shared 115 runs for the third wicket. CSK topped the tally with this win securing 2 points. Mumbai Indians Trent Boult, James Pattinson, Jaspreet Bumrah, Krunal Pandya and Rahul Chahar took 1-1 wickets.
- Man of the Match: Ambati Rayudu
- Gamechanger of the match: Faf du Plessis
- Super Striker of the Match: Quinton Dickock
- Let’s crack a six: Ambati Rayudu
- Power Player of the Match: Quinton Dickock
Opening match for the fourth time between the two teams
CSK and Mumbai have played the opening match of IPL for the fourth time. In this, both teams have won 2–2 matches. The last IPL opening match between Mumbai and Chennai took place in 2018. Nevertheless, Chennai had won by 1 wicket in a thrilling match. Mumbai has played the opening match 7 times so far.
Second Innings Highlights
|Over||How many runs||Batsman||Bowler|
|0-5||23/2||Rayudu: 10 runs||Bolt: 1 wicket|
|6-10||47/0||Rayudu: 29 runs||–|
|11-15||46/0||Rayudu: 28 runs||–|
|16–19.2||50/3||Du Plessis: 20 runs||Rahul: 1 wicket|
Saurabh of Mumbai scored 42 and Dickock scored 33
Mumbai Indians, captained by Rohit Sharma, had scored 162 runs after losing 9 wickets in 20 overs. Saurabh Tiwari scored the highest 42, Quinton Dickock 33, Kieron Pollard 18 and Suryakumar Yadav scored 17 runs. At the same time, Lungi Ngidi took 3 wickets for CSK. He dismissed James Pattinson (11), Kieron Pollard (18) and Krunal Pandya (3).
Faf du Plessis took 2 brilliant catches by Saurabh Tiwary and Hardik Pandya at the boundary.
At the same time, CSK’s Ravindra Jadeja and Deepak Chahar took 2-2 wickets. Jadeja dismissed Saurabh Tiwari (42) and then Hardik Pandya (17). Faf du Plessis took superb catches at the boundary of both players. At the same time, Deepak sent Suryakumar Yadav (17) and Trent Boult (0) to the pavilion.
First innings highlights
|Over||How many runs||Batsman||Bowler|
|0-5||48/1||Quinton Decock: 33 runs||Piyush Chawla: 1 wicket|
|6-10||38/1||Saurabh Tiwari: 22 runs||Sam Karan: 1 wicket|
|11-15||40/3||Saurabh Tiwary: 20 runs||Ravindra Jadeja: 2 wickets|
|16-20||36/4||Kieron Pollard: 18 runs||Lungi ngidi: 3 wickets|
Du Plessis’s innings was the turning point
After losing two wickets in the first two overs, Faf du Plessis took over the Chennai Super Kings innings. Faf, along with Ambati Rayudu, added 115 runs for the third wicket. Faf held one end and was not out until the end.
Tournament starting interest factors
- First four: Rohit Sharma hit the first ball of the match. Deepak Chahar was the bowler.
- First six: Saurabh Tiwari hit the second ball of the ninth over. Ravindra Jadeja was the bowler.
- First wicket: Rohit Sharma was dismissed by Piyush Chawla on the fourth ball of the 5th over.
- First catch: Sam Karan caught the fourth ball of the 5th over as Rohit Sharma.
- First DRS: Chennai Super Kings took the fourth ball of the 14th over of the first innings.
- First no ball: The last ball of the sixth over in the second innings was given the no ball by the TV umpire. It was Bumrah’s first over.
Dhoni said- Set up is new this time
After the toss, Dhoni said in a funny manner on social distancing that we wanted to know whether we would be able to keep the fielders in the slip. This time the set up is new. Enjoyed the most from isolation to practice. The team is all set. At the same time, Rohit Sharma compared to last time in UAE, we are playing with almost new team. In such a situation, we hope that our record will improve here.